This news article was originally written in Spanish. It has been automatically translated for your convenience. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace a human translator. The original article in Spanish can be viewed at Mercado Central de Zaragoza
Markets with history
Market Central de Zaragoza
on March 25, 2011
Built in 1903, it occupies the square in which the market was held since the middle ages. Jewel of the Aragonese modernism, is today one of the emblematic buildings in the city.
A few metres from plaza del Pilar, the heart of the old Zaragoza, is the Central market or market of Lanuza, in the square which takes its name from the Justice of Aragon John of Lanuza, executed in this place in 1591. Surrounded by the Roman ruins of the old Cesaragusta, occupies a privileged place in all the tourist guides of the city, not only for its architectural interest, but for the fact of being for more than a century a meeting place where the zaragozans see reflected his own identity in the always warm contact between buyers and retailers.
Designed by Félix Navarro Pérez in 1901, it was designed in the modern structural architecture of the iron, which earlier had popularized Eiffel in Paris
Designed by Félix Navarro Pérez in 1901, was designed in the modern structural architecture of the iron, which earlier had popularized Eiffel in Paris and, externally, under the canons of a modernism that not he renounced the tradition of classical architecture. The process of rehabilitation of the building began in 1984 in response to new demands and needs of trade retailer (wholesalers had evicted the low moved to Mercazaragoza in 1972) under the direction of the architect José María Mateo Sotero. The project of modernization was carried out with the double requirement of providing market facilities and services suited to the times, maintain full skin of the original building and the structure. This was carried out a comprehensive restoration of the building, giving back to the stone his lucidity initial and allegorical sculptures its relief and eye candy. The school of applied arts was commissioned to restore the enamel plates and was made a clock Bell for the main façade, identical to the original of the century. The result is today at the sight, an architectural jewel that serves more than commercial for which was conceived as.
The market today
190 Posts that are currently in the market (before the Reformation were 213) occupy the top floor. Abound the posts of fruits and vegetables, some less meat and cured meats or fish, but as a whole the market caters for any kind of fresh produce and seasonal. The lower floor is intended for the cold storage rooms, workshops, offices and logistics areas.
The Association of retailers in the Central market is doing long time activities of revitalization of the market, having been allocated a space in the ground floor destined to cultural activities, exhibitions, concerts and conferences.
In short, the market Central Juan of Lanuza offers numerous reasons for approaching him. Whether to purchase the varied range of products offered by their jobs or simply to enjoy the attractiveness of its renewed architecture and that special feeling of authenticity that is reflected in the faces of traders and customers. In any case, a visit must for anyone visiting the city of the Ebro.
A medieval market
The solar since 1901 deals with the modern building was the place where the market in the open air was held in medieval times. In fact, until the mid-eighties of last century, the outskirts of the market were filled out of crowd at the Sunday flea market. But this square, once much closer, also was the usual scene of executions and autos de fe. Here was executed John of Lanuza, defender of the fueros of Aragon, at the time of Philip II.
The plaza in the works prior to the construction of the market in 1901